17 May 2005

Train Station becomes Musée d'Orsay

I'm not in Paris yet. I will leave on Sunday. But today I was reading about the Musee d'Orsay. They were prepared to tear the building down in the 1970s, but fortunately someone thought better of it, and the Musée d'Orsay was created from a former train station at the end of 1986. I am looking forward to spending time here. I am sure I will visit more than once.

When I lived in Washington, DC, our house was a block away from the Phillips Collection, where Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party is part of the permanent collection. It's my favorite painting, and I loved the fact that it was just around the corner. It's a large painting (51 x 68 in.) and has presence in the relatively modest neighborhood building.

At the Musée d'Orsay I am looking forward to seeing Le Moulin de la Galette. It has the same spirit of Luncheon of the Boating Party. Not all of Renoir's work has as much energy. Curiously, the people in both paintings are having a grand time, though it appears that nobody makes eye contact with any one else. Ironic.

1 Comments:

At 24/5/05 21:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Orsay is right around the corner from my mom's apartment. You will LOVE it. It's my favorite.
Make sure you enjoy the view from the clock on the top floor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home










Parisblog

Site au hasard
Voir la liste